Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bastille Day post

I really don't get into the whole idea of celebrating Bastille Day like others might. I'm not absolutely convinced that the French Revolution was a good thing. I'm a monarchist at heart. I know it wouldn't work well for America, but I tend to think that countries that have kings ought to keep them. And the anti-clericalism of the French Revolution outstripped any long-term benefit, to my mind.

All of which isn't really the point here. Patterico used the occasion to post the greatest scene ever filmed, and I couldn't very well let it go to waste. French, American or anything else, if you can watch this scene without goosebumps, you're probably not the sort of person I want reading my blog anyway.



A bit of trivia on the side: The blonde who sings with tears in her eyes and shouts "Vive la France" at the end of the song? She's the only member of the cast still living Like most of the cast, she was a refugee from the Nazi occupation. When these people sang "La Marseillaise," they meant it.

No comments: