Monday, December 12, 2005

Sacraments for sale?

Okay, so there's a discussion of homeschooling and school options over at Challies Dot Com, and Tim Challies mentioned that the Catholic schools near him (Diocese of Hamilton, Ont.) require a Catholic baptism for students, and that Protestant baptism won't do. That's offensive, but I guess it's the bishop's prerogative. Then Tim went on to say that several of his neighbors had had to pay for their kids to be baptized so they could send them to a Catholic school.

Now, I'm not a canon lawyer, but Canon 848 would appear to me to rule out charging for baptism, and Canon 868 prohibits baptizing children who aren't going to be raised Catholic.

A couple more comments that have surfaced on this thread seem to confirm that I didn't misunderstand:
A couple of years ago my mom was sitting in a coffee shop near here and struck up a conversation with a woman at the next table. The woman was talking about all the different fees the priest was levying on them for baptism, membership and so on. She said that all that church ever wants from her is money. So I believe it is fairly common around here to charge for baptisms...


I know that here, you have to pay the Catholic church for everything! If you want an actual funeral mass instead of a simple prayer over a casket, you gotta pay up. If you want to be baptized, get out your checkbook. You have to pay tuition for catechism, for crying out loud! I can't imagine a Protestant Church refusing to admit kids to Sunday school unless they paid for it. I know members of my family who not only had to pay to get married in a Catholic church, but were allowed to marry non-Catholics in a Catholic church if they gave even more money. I don't know about the rest of the country, but the Brooklyn Diocese and the Rockville Centre Diocese operate on Tetzelian economics, for sure!

I need some help here from cradle Catholics, or even converts with wider experience than mine. I know I've never been charged for anything in my parish. Theoretically, there's a charge for CCD to cover materials, but I don't think I've ever paid it, and nobody's said anything. (I wasn't skipping out, BTW; I'm just forgetful.) But I've only beeen in one parish, and it's in a fairly small diocese, so things may be different elsewhere. What's the skinny on fees for sacraments?

No comments: