Monday, June 18, 2007

We are all Paris Hilton

As a firm believer in the free market and the American way, I had to stop in my tracks when I read this from Jon Swift. I feel his pain, as I must feel hers.
What has always made America different from other countries is that every citizen has an equal opportunity to become rich or, at least, to inherit great wealth. That is the American dream. That is why most Americans oppose high taxes for the wealthy and death taxes because they know that someday they might be well off themselves.

But the tragic saga of Paris Hilton has shattered that dream. How can we possibly have faith in the American system of justice when we see that despite having access to the best lawyers money can buy, Paris Hilton can be treated so cruelly? What hope do we have for the future when we see that even if we become a wealthy celebrity, we might still be subject to the harsh vagaries of the law.

First they came for Paris Hilton and I did not speak up because I was not Paris Hilton.

Suddenly, candlelight vigils and 24-hour coverage just seem so... inadequate.

No comments: