Monday, November 12, 2007

I must be uncultured

I only got 13 of these, and I'm going to have to look a couple of those up to be sure. I'm especially embarrassed not to remember #2, as I think I have a copy of that strip at home. 6 and 8 are also going to cost me some sleep. I should know those, dagnabbit!

Let's see who can do better. Here's David Bayly's quiz for the truly cultured:
1. Tell, within a dozen, how many books P. G. Wodehouse wrote. Shoot, make it within thirty…

2. Name the song playing on the radio when Duke threw the grapefruit into the bathtub containing his Samoan attorney.

3. Fill in the blank, “I love the smell of _____________ in the morning.”

4. Tell what machine Toad fell in love with after being thrown from his caravan.

5. Name the Who’s original drummer.

6. Describe the procedure for trapping a heffalump.

7. Name the Black Panther Party member who went from exile in Cuba to preaching at Wheaton Bible Church before designing and selling codpiece-equipped pants.

8. Name the artist who played harmonica on Keith Green’s 1980 “So You Wanna Go Back to Egypt” LP.

9. Tell who said, “The policeman isn’t there to create disorder. The policeman is there to preserve disorder.”

10. Name the movie: “Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.”

11. Name the Beatle with the bare feet.

12. Name the now-dead newspaper columnist who often quoted his friend Slats Grobnik.

13. Tell what color and model car O.J. Simpson was being driven down the Santa Monica freeway in.

14. Name the Chicago Bears defensive tackle who scored a touchdown in Super Bowl XX.

15. Finish the sentence from "Cool Hand Luke": “What we have here is a failure to _____________ .”

16. Name the movie this line comes from: “It's just a flesh wound! Come back and I'll bite your kneecaps off!”

17. Name the song that ends with the drummer shouting, “I’ve got blisters on my fingers!"

18. Name the lead guitarist on the Beatles’ “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”

19. Name the Tom Wolfe book originally serialized in Rolling Stone magazine.

20. Name the television series modeled on the work of a New Yorker cartoonist.


Update: Answers are hidden below. David never did post them, so I googled, and found I was wrong on some of the ones I thought I knew. The ones I got right are bolded.)

1. Wikipedia says he wrote 96 books, although I don't know if that includes the plays and songs.

2. White Rabbit. I was sure this was a Doonesbury reference, but it's from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which I haven't read.

3. Napalm

4. A motor-car.

5. Doug Sandom. (I know, I thought it was Keith Moon, too.)

6. Dig a Very Big Pit and bait it with hunny.

7. Eldridge Cleaver

8. Bob Dylan.

9. Richard Daley, mayor of Chicago.

10. Dr. Strangelove.

11. John Lennon Paul McCartney.

12. Mike Royko

13. A white Ford Bronco.

14. William "The Refrigerator" Perry.

15. Communicate.

16. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. (One commenter at the original Bayly post says the quote should be "legs" and not "kneecaps." IMDb verifies this.)

17.Helter Skelter. (And there's debate over whether it was Ringo or someone else.)

18. Eric Clapton.

19. The Bonfire of the Vanities.

20. The Addams Family. (Although a Bayly reader pointed out James Thurber had a short-lived TV show, too. If you knew that, you're smarter than I am.)

No comments: