Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Weighing in on the pope

As of a few days ago, Pope John Paul II's passing had generated in excess of 35,000 news stories. I don't see that there's much I can add to the cacophany. I do want to mention a couple of things, and then I'll let it drop, I think.

1. I'm amazed at the number of Protestant leaders who have been respectful of John Paul II's legacy. Even the Rev. Ian Paisley was downright gentlemanly, which is not an adjective I would usually associate with him:
"We need to learn that everyone on Earth no matter what position he holds or the claims he makes or the support he has must come to death and eternity," the Reverend Ian Paisley said on Sunday.

"We can understand how the Roman Catholic people feel at the death of the Pope and they are entitled to express their sorrow and grief," he added in a statement.

The Reuters story is here.

2. Despite the media's attempts to predict a successor, I expect it will be a complete surprise. Conclaves have a history of being unpredictable. Regardless of who it is, it has been and continues to be my deep hope that the new pope will take the name "George Ringo I."

No comments: