Friday, September 02, 2005

First attempt at a meme

This is probably bad, pushy manners, but I've never been tagged with a meme before, and it seemed likely that this one from The Crusty Curmudgeon would pass me by, and I didn't want that to happen. I could actually feel my hairline receding as I did this. So I'm going to share the feeling of obsolescence and tag Patrick, Julie, Lance, and, of course, my my Lovely, Brilliant and Eternally-Youthful Wife. Y'all are whatever the plural is of "It!"

Here's how it works:
1. Go to musicoutfitters.com.
2. Enter the year you graduated from high school in the search function and get the list of 100 most popular songs of that year.
3. Bold the songs you like, strike through the ones you hate and underline your favorite. Do nothing to the ones you don't remember (or don't care about). Commentary is optional, but fun. Get in touch with your inner sneering teenager!

I graduated in 1986, just before pop music began to turn to crap (hey, don't we all say that?), so this is my list. I'm a bit surprised at how many of them I don't remember. Maybe it's God's mercy at work.
The List:

1. That's What Friends Are For, Dionne Warwick, Elton John, and Gladys Knight (I can't imagine why this made #1. Two lovely soul singers and a hag. You guess which.)
2. Say You, Say Me, Lionel Richie (Say what? C'mon, Lionel, you could do better than this one!)
3. I Miss You, Klymaxx
4. On My Own, Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald
5. Broken Wings, Mr. Mister This was a pretty good song the first ten thousand times. After that, it sort of lost something.)
6. How Will I Know, Whitney Houston
7. Party All The Time, Eddie Murphy (Steve Martin was right; comedy is not pretty. But when comedians try to cross over into music, it's even less so.)
8. Burning Heart, Survivor
9. Kyrie, Mr. Mister (I wasn't absolutely sure what Kyrie Eleison meant at the time, Baptist boy that I was, but I still loved the song.)
10. Addicted To Love, Robert Palmer (Might as well face it, he's a talentless slug.)
11. Greatest Love Of All, Whitney Houston
12. Secret Lovers, Atlantic Starr
13. Friends And Lovers, Carl Anderson and Gloria Loring
14. Glory Of Love, Peter Cetera
15. West End Girls, Pet Shop Boys
16. There'll Be Sad Songs, Billy Ocean
17. Alive And Kicking, Simple Minds
18. Never, Heart
19. Kiss, Prince and The Revolution
20. Higher Love, Steve Winwood
21. Stuck With You, Huey Lewis and The News
22. Holding Back The Years, Simply Red
23. Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel
24. Sara, Starship (The last depressing remnants of the Jefferson Airplane; i.e. Grace Slick. She was too good for this dreck, but what do you do when all the other talent in the band has gone elsewhere?)
25. Human, Human League
26. I Can't Wait, Nu Shooz
27. Take My Breath Away, Berlin
28. Rock Me Amadeus, Falco
29. Papa Don't Preach, Madonna
30. You Give Love A Bad Name, Bon Jovi
31. When The Going Gets Tough, Billy Ocean
32. When I Think Of You, Janet Jackson
33. These Dreams, Heart
34. Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone), Glass Tiger
35. Live To Tell, Madonna
36. Mad About You, Belinda Carlisle
37. Something About You, Level 42
38. Venus, Bananarama
39. Dancing On The Ceiling, Lionel Richie
40. Conga, Miami Sound Machine
41. True Colors, Cyndi Lauper (I actually liked this one until they used it for a film commercial)
42. Danger Zone, Kenny Loggins
43. What Have You Done For Me Lately, Janet Jackson
44. No One Is To Blame, Howard Jones
45. Let's Go All The Way, Sly Fox
46. I Didn't Mean To Turn You On, Robert Palmer
47. Words Get In The Way, Miami Sound Machine
48. Manic Monday, Bangles (Second choice for favorite!)
49. Walk Of Life, Dire Straits
50. Amanda, Boston
51. Two Of Hearts, Stacey Q
52. Crush On You, Jets
53. If You Leave, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
54. Invisible Touch, Genesis
55. The Sweetest Taboo, Sade
56. What You Need, INXS
57. Talk To Me, Stevie Nicks
58. Nasty, Janet Jackson
59. Take Me Home Tonight, Eddie Money
60. We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off, Jermaine Stewart
61. All Cried Out, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam With Full Force
62. Your Love, Outfield
63. I'm Your Man, Wham! (They always looked like each other's man. They were a lot better when they were still Wham UK.)
64. Perfect Way, Scritti Politti
65. Living In America, James Brown (Weird Al did James Brown better than he did. How often do you get to say that?)
66. R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A., John Cougar Mellencamp
67. Who's Johnny, El Debarge
68. Word Up, Cameo
69. Why Can't This Be Love, Van Halen
70. Silent Running, Mike and The Mechanics
71. Typical Male, Tina Turner
72. Small Town, John Cougar Mellencamp
73. Tarzan Boy, Baltimora
74. All I Need Is A Miracle, Mike and The Mechanics
75. Sweet Freedom, Michael McDonald
76. True Blue, Madonna
77. Rumors, Timex Social Club
78. Life In A Northern Town, Dream Academy
79. Bad Boy, Miami Sound Machine
80. Sleeping Bag, ZZ Top
81. Tonight She Comes, Cars
82. Love Touch, Rod Stewart (Even by 1986, anybody receiving a love touch from Rod Stewart would have been washing themselves frantically and hollering for the police. Rod didn't age well.)
83. A Love Bizarre, Sheila E. (This title just about sums up everything this chick recorded. And slightly more subtly than "I'm a kink-slut" would have.)
84. Throwing It All Away, Genesis
85. Baby Love, Regina
86. Election Day, Arcadia
87. Nikita, Elton John
88. Take Me Home, Phil Collins
89. Walk This Way, Run-D.M.C. (Never try to improve on a classic. Especially with rap.)
90. Sweet Love, Anita Baker
91. Your Wildest Dreams, Moody Blues
92. Spies Like Us, Paul McCartney (I still believe he really did die in 1969.)
93. Object Of My Desire, Starpoint
94. Dreamtime, Daryl Hall
95. Tender Love, Force M.D.'s
96. King For A Day, Thompson Twins
97. Love Will Conquer All, Lionel Richie
98. A Different Corner, George Michael
99. I'll Be Over You, Toto (By this time, their career was over, too)
100. Go Home, Stevie Wonder (Yes, Stevie, go home. But let someone else drive.)

No comments: