Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Opposite Camps

I was a big fan of Christian rock music in the 80s, although I tended to favor some of the more "underground" new wave and punk-style groups like Flock 14 and Crumbacher. I still had a healthy respect for the greats in the genre, though, and I really enjoyed Steve Camp. In fact, as I've mentioned before, his song "Upon this Rock" was one of the things that propelled me into the Catholic Church. It said:
Upon this Rock I will build my Church
And thhe gates of Hell will not stand against it
Though Satan persecute my bride on every side
All is well; she is not defenseless

I had heard both the song, and the reference in Matthew that it came from, more times than I could count, but when I began looking first into Eastern Orthodoxy and then into Catholicism, those words took on new meaning for me. I began to see that the important thing in Matthew 16:18 was not the first part (Peter as the rock) that was the most important part, but the promise that the Church would withstand everything Satan had to throw against it. And the Church has survived, through heresies, schisms, and yes, even the Protestant Reformation. I could not continue to be a Protestant, I realized, because in so doing, I was acknowledging that the gates of Hell really had prevailed, for fifteen centuries. And that, Jesus promised, could not happen. The same Church that had existed in 431 still existed in 1517, and exists today in 2005. There was still the question of whether the Orthodox or the Catholics had the better claim to primacy, but it was clear that Protestantism, having deliberately separated itself from the ancient Church, had no such claim. Steve's song wasn't the only thing that made me examine the historical Church, but it was a trigger. Music can sometimes get ideas across that reading cannot.

I had no idea until last year that Steve was staunchly opposed to the Catholic Church (not the same as anti-Catholic, BTW), and I just recently stumbled across his blog, Camp On This. It's a real disappointment to find out what he really believes about the Church. I haven't been through all the archives or anything, but you can get an idea of his attitude here and here. Be sure to check out the comments.

I will say that Steve's a gentleman in the comment fields with people who defend the Church politely. He also has a much better familiarity with scripture than many Protestant apologists I've encountered, and a wicked sense of humor. Still, as I say, it's a disappointment, and I keep replaying in my head another line from another of the great CCM songs I remember from my youth:
I kept the things you taught to me
And I found them to be true
I only wish that you believed them too

I do wish that. And if he never does, well, God knows the love Steve has for Him and I look forward to seeing him in heaven. And Steve, thanks for giving me more than you meant to.

Update: Isaac points out in the comments that the word "apostasy" above is too strong to apply to the Reformation, and I agree with him. I've changed the wording to reflect that.

No comments: