Wednesday, October 05, 2005

"Mariaphobic Response Syndrome"

Catholic überblogger Mark Shea has an excellent article at Catholic Exchange that responds to the latria vs. dulia distinction that's hard to get across in Catholic-Protestant discussions.

I have to disagree in one place with Mark, when he says that Evangelicals don't have a problem with Eucharistic adoration, but the question does tend to take a back seat to Mary in raising Protestant hackles. Mary is more visible, and hence an easier target, but the Real Presence is a lot more fundamental, and I suspect a lot of Evangelicals don't really realize what a big deal we make of the Blessed Sacrament. (I know I didn't, but then, I was never a very thoughtful Evangelical.)

Anyway, go take a look. In particular, I'd like, in a brotherly spirit, to invite a regular commenter on this blog to read it and see if it doesn't address the things we've been discussing. (I'd just as soon not say who, as I don't want to make it look like I'm putting him on the spot.)

Great article, Mark! I look forward to Part II.

No comments: