Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Post-Memorial Day post

From The Johnny Law Chronicles comes a sobering reminder not to forget the men who beat great odds and did epic deeds before our lifetime.

Johnny responded to a call over the weekend by folks who hadn't seen their neighbor for a few days.
We searched the house and found him in the bedroom. It was an elderly man who had obviously been dead for several days. The extreme heat had sped up the decay process and the body was badly discolored. He had been laying in bed with one of those large box fans blowing on him. I checked the central AC and saw it was blowing hot air. The thermostat had maxed out at over 100 degrees. It was an old house that was in need of repair and the AC looked pretty run down as well. Apparently, it broke and he tried to compensate with the fan but it just wasn’t enough.

After the scene was declared “safe” by the ME and detectives, I started looking around for contact info for family. While I was looking, I came across a box containing a bunch of military items. There were medals, citations, and army pictures. Turns out this person was on the beach during the Normandy Invasion. I was in the house of a bona fide war hero. I wish I remembered the unit that he was in but it escapes me.

Neighbors didn’t know the person very well and the only family member we could find was a son who lived in Chicago. It made me very depressed that a veteran of the D-day invasion died alone in a sweltering rundown house. That’s no way for anyone to go, especially a WWII veteran. I can’t help but wonder about all the stories this guy could have told.

Lesson for today:

These folks are national treasures. Not just WWII vets, all war vets. Treat with them with respect. Honor them. Thank them.

To that man who died alone, even though I never got a chance to tell you, thank you for your service. You deserved better.

We don't know him, but God does, and He also knows what this forgotten hero did that day when so many others were snuffed out. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

No comments: