Tuesday, February 10, 2009

WWKSS?

The minute I saw this story, I asked myself, "What would Kathy Shaidle say?" I may have to e-mail it to her attention.
A foster mother has been struck off the register for allowing a Muslim girl in her care to convert to Christianity.

The woman, who has looked after more than 80 children in the past ten years, is considering suing the council over the decision.

Although she is a practising Anglican, she said she had put no pressure on the girl who was baptised last year at the age of 16.

She said social workers had also raised no objections to her own attendance at church.

But officials insist she failed in her duty to preserve the girl's religion and should have tried to stop the baptism.

Last April, they ruled that the girl, now 17, should stay away from church for six months...

The carer is a single mother of two in her 50s who has worked with young children for much of her life. She has had an unblemished record since becoming a foster parent in the North of England in 1999.

Of the Christian convert, she said: 'I did initially try to discourage her. I offered her alternatives.

'I offered to find places for her to practise her own religion. I offered to take her to friends and family.

'But she said to me from the word go, 'I am interested and I want to come.' She sort of burst in.'

The woman said it had never occurred to her that she would be axed from the register.

As Kathy said last week, "Dear Luftwaffe: please come back. All is forgiven."

No comments: