Monday, August 01, 2005

How to meet singles?

No, not for me; I'm happily married. But there's a thread on World Magazine's blog about a Wal-Mart that tested a program whereby single shoppers could wear a red bow to show their status. The program was discontinued after a month.

The whole thing reminded me of a time when I was a single dad, and I often had to buy... shall we say... necessities for my pubescent daughter. The usual requirement was that she would have to tear the top off the previous box, because I was durned if I was going to try to comparison-shop for a product I only vaguely understood to begin with. One day, I had to stop at the store on the way home for work, unarmed with a box top, and I found myself stopping a strange woman in the feminine hygiene section and asking her, "Excuse me, but are these [the generic brand] the same thing as these [the name brand]?" She assured me quite nicely that they were. It occurred to me that given that under different circumstances, that would have been a wonderful way to meet a single young lady, as every woman takes pity on a single father.

So here's the question: What do y'all think of the Wal-Mart idea, and if you were single and wanted to meet somebody in Wal-Mart without benefit of ribbons, how (and in which section) would you go about it?

No comments: