Wednesday, January 25, 2006

No daughter of mine is going to dress that way!

Show me a father who hasn't said that. And the girls just roll their eyes at dumb old Dad. But Molly Saves the Day agrees with us old prudes that there's a difference between beinng fashionable and dressing little girls like harlots.
Victoria's Secret has essentially started marketing merchandise that says "INSERT VULVA HERE" to little girls, and even the Chicago Tribune calls it "G-rated." Well, it may be G-rated to the girls who buy them, thinking pink is just a color and expressive of femininity. But girls are walking -- as the article mentions -- to classes and in public wearing pants with "pink" on the bottom. And while they may not understand the innuendo, I'm sure a lot of the other people who see them do.

Basically, Victoria's Secret has made it so little girls are unconsciously making themselves into sex objects, and their naive, desperate-to-show-off parents are buying into it.

I like my daughters to like the way they look. I even acknowledge that what's in today isn't the same thing that was in when I was a kid. But I remember something a wise lady of my mom's generation used to tell her daughters in high school: Don't advertise beer if you're selling lemonade. Call me sexist, call me hypersensitive, but I think if a girl is young enough to own an Easy-Bake Oven or even have boy-band posters on her wall, her clothing shouldn't say "Come and get it." Even (especially!) in grown-up code terms that she'll learn the meaning of later on.

Read the rest of the post here.

No comments: