Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Movie meme

Update Thursday morning: The answers are in hidden text at the end of the post.

I didn't see this meme when Rob tagged me on it several weeks ago. This is so up my alley you wouldn't believe it. My family doesn't like watching movies with me (especially old ones) because I can't stop spouting trivia long enough for them to watch it. If there were such a thing as reincarnation, I'd want to come back as Robert Osborne.

Here's how it works: Pick out your ten favorite movies, then look them up at IMDb. In the overview at the top of each movie's page, there are "Plot Keywords," usually five of them. (Plus more, if you click the link.) Take the first five, and post them. Then the rest of us get to play movie buff and see if we can guess them.

It wasn't part of the original meme, but I couldn't resist adding a little commentary on mine. Up to you if you do or not.

1. American Abroad / Fan / Fez / Train Station / Cafe Owner
(No comment necessary on this one; it's on everybody's list.)

2. Tense / Key West Florida / Claustrophobic / War Veteran / Escape
(This one should be easy, too.)

3. Terminal Illness
(This is the only key word it had, honest. It's a pretty obscure one, but one of the most romantic films I've ever seen. Netted a Best Writing Oscar, too.)

4. Cartography / Wales / Priest / Small Community / Hill
("Priest" was a little wide of the mark, but the rest make it a little obvious, I think. The most recent film on the list.)

5. Irish Republican Army / Irish American / Catholic Priest / Homecoming / Courtship
(Gee, I wonder what this one could be. I'll bet it shows up on a lot of folks' lists, too.)

6. Eavesdropping / Masquerade / Newspaper Editor / Poetry / Library
(Three of the greatest talents in Hollywood, and the height of their greatness. Hilarious and insightful at the same time. What's not to love?)

7. Single Parent / Community / Gentle / Starting Over / Male Female Relationship
(My Lovely and Brilliant Wife and I both identified with this one more than we probably had cause to.)

8. Broadway Musical / Anvil / Love / Marching Band / Music
(Darn few musicals make the transition to screen without becoming wooden in the process. This one was the exception.)

9. Caper / Bus Stop / Car Chase / Criminal Gang / Road
(The star of this one got a chance to show what he was capable of, and it paid off in spades. Good supporting cast, too.)

10. Good Versus Evil / Horse / Prince / Revolt / Swashbuckler
(No matter how many times this one gets remade, they've all been a waste of celluloid. Stick to this one.)

Let the guessing commence! I think I'll tag Patrick, Brian, Ricki, Nightfly, Ken, and Paul.

Oh, yes, and the family: Ms. Kitty, Shannon, Covarr and my Lovely, Brilliant and Knocked-Up Wife. Some of you will probably stump me, especially the kids. But I'll bet they get all of mine first try. With eyes a-rollin'.

Update:Just in case anbody wants to know, here are the answers. Highlight if you're interested.
1. Casablanca
2. Key Largo
3. One Way Passage
4. The Englishman who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain
5. The Quiet Man
6. The Philadelphia Story
7. Murphy's Romance
8. The Music Man
9. High Sierra
10. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, with Errol Flynn)

No comments: