Saturday, April 05, 2008

Pastor Mike on sorrow, stupidity, and God's grace

Our friend Pastor Mike Barrett went on the 700 Club a while back to talk about some of the same things he discussed in his book, The Danger Habit. (Which, BTW, I highly recommend, especially for anyone with an adrenaline jones.)

(I couldn't get the video to embed, but you can see it here.)

One thing that struck me was when Mike was very honest about an incident in his life in which he was narrowly averted from something both sinful and stupid - and I mean on a hand-in-the-meat-grinder level. We've all been there, although as he does with everything else, Mike took it to an extreme. (Not that I've failed to be equally stupid and sinful on a frequent basis, mind you.) One of the silly memes that follows Christianity around is the idea that once you're "born again" or "saved," you automatically know better than to commit self-destructive (or other-destructive) sins. And only a hypocrite ever stumbles after that point.

So we're led to believe. But in real life, the Christian life is a slow, frustrating stagger toward the perfection that the Lord promises at the end of our lives.

God uses people who trip over their own feet, and He uses people who take chances that make my hair curl, and He even uses timid, unexciting people like me. He uses us as we are, because He made us as we are.

No comments: