Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Mark my his words

A couple of days ago, I took Catholic Überblogger Mark Shea to task for his hostility toward President Bush following his (Mark's) hiatus. Mark answered my comments here. I think I should make some things clear that I didn't in the original post.

One commenter felt I was too harsh on Mark. Looking back, I agree. A lot of the wording I used was to make the shoe fit two very different feet, Mark's and those of Garry Trudeau. Like Trudeau, Mark went on a hiatus, and came back with a different tone to his writing. I don't believe that Mark hates President Bush, nor that he really is seizing on any stick to beat Bush with, ccontrary to what I said. I was drawing a parallel between the two men that wasn't perfect by a long shot. Trudeau has continued to get shriller and shriller, and his work has been the poorer for it. where he used to have characters, he now has mere drawings that mouth his venom about the people (mostly Republicans) on his enemies list. Mark would never stoop to mocking Bush's dyslexia, for instance, nor constantly refer to Arnold Schwartzenegger as "The Gropenator" based on a couple of rather questionable accusations. Mark is strong in his views, and often sharp-tongued about them, but not vicious on that level. (For more about Trudeau's reverse evolution, see here. I really miss the old pre-hiatus strip.)

I have to admit I was worried that his shift in tone might be the beginning of a similar slide on Mark's part. His outrage particularly at the Miers nomination struck me as Doonesburyesque. I've been corrected (albeit obliquely) here.
As several people have remarked, I've been out of sorts lately. I hadn't quite understood why and hadn't really known what to do about it. But a combination of sitting in front of the Eucharist ("spiritual radiation therapy") and reading the Psalms has been helpful. I sat by the Eucharist the other evening after Perry Lorenzo's talk and the thought popped into my head "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you." I've been rather slow in this department of late, so I thought I had better try. That was all for the evening, except that the evening got rather darker after that. A gloom and a pall fell over me and I felt considerably more depressed.

I think that was the unpleasant sensation of blood returning to the numb limb--a good thing. Because last night, when I read Psalm 23 and came to the words "surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life" it hit me: I've been feeling depressed ever since I finished the Mary book.

And I think I know why. I'm very pleased with the Mary book. In many ways, it felt, while I was writing it, like my life had been leading up to this book. Getting this book *right* was crucially important to me and I didn't want to blow it. But there's a down side to that. Because if you feel deeply that your life has been leading up to something and then that something if over--then what?

Part of the concern is, as my Lovely and Brilliant Wife mentioned to me the other day, is that while it's generally a bad idea to be a party man über alles, the aims we have go beyond Bush. Like it or not, we elected him partly (maybe mostly) because he was pro-life, at least more so than Kerry. If we're to elect another pro-lifer in '08, we'd better not split the party too badly. If that means bunking down with Bush, then so be it. (My hopes are pinned on Mitt Romney, personally.)

I can't overstate the respect I have for Mark. He's been the voice of him that crieth in the Bloggerness, defending both common sense and Catholic orthodoxy, and the first Catholic blog I read every day. Often the last as well, as he updates so frequently. I've also made good use of his Sheavings in apologetics situations, and I've plagiarized imitated several of his trademark phrases. Lots of other folks feel the same way. His influence as the Godfather of St. Blog's Parish means that his words are heeded by a lot of people. It's a responsibility I'm glad I don't have.

Mark, it's good to see you back and more or less your old self. I'm sorry I slammed you when you were down.

Oh, and the part about not being fun to read anymore? I was wrong about that, too. I'm still "Enjoying It." Blog on, Bro!

No comments: